Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Amazing Lace - Challenge 1

Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us
The Introduction.

First of all, I had NO IDEA how hard it is to take a photo of yourself, in the mirror of the wardrobe, with a digital camera. This has to be one of the WORST photos I've ever taken. I will endeavor to replace it with a better one shortly.

But it IS me and it is my big black blob o'shawl in progress.

This project was my first choice for the Knitting Olympics. I had been eyeing it in the book Folk Shawls for some time. But in my first blush of enthusiasm, I didn't really stop to think - or to count. By the time you get to the outer edge, there are almost 160 stitches per section or 1300 for every 2 round 'repeat'. Opps.

So my Olympic ambitions were scaled back (and even then, I didn't manage to finish due to a severe bout of the 'flu that benched me during the first week). I was afraid that the materials for this project would languish in the stash.

But I got a major hankering to knit lace. Lacy socks, lacy gautlets, lacy wimple, drapy dramatic scarves... None of them quite scratched the itch for something with lots and lots of holes in it. So, I cast on this shawl in the middle of April, and it grew rapidly. I made the jump to big needles and I got to the edging just before the Memorial Day weekend, turned the corner on Monday.

So the edging for the Widow's Shawl is my first leg partner for this event.

Warming up in the wings are two contenders for my second leg partner,
The Leaf Lace Shawl from Fiber Trends in fingering weight merino wool (Louet Gems in "willow") or

Enes Scarf from the book Scarf Style in lace weight wool/silk (Zephyr from JaggerSpun in "plum").

1 comment:

Jenny Raye said...

Ene's Scarf looks more like a shawl than a scarf. Would you mind sharing the dimensions of the finished scarf from the pattern? It's very pretty--that would be my choice, although I love the lace leaf shawl too. How much longer do you think on the Basic Black shawl--great idea adding a border, btw.