Sunday, May 07, 2006

I have my first "knit the classics" project

We are reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

And the whole idea of "knit the classics" is to do a project that's inspired by the book. So I've been haunting Regency costuming sites and look what I stumbled across:

MUFFETEE: a muffler worn around the neck or a worsted cuff worn on the wrist. (From the dictionary of 18th Cent Trade terms found here.)

In other words, what we now call a 'wrist warmer'!!!

When I was doing my first six sock KAL of the "Glad Raggs" socks, I noticed that the cuffs would make GREAT wrist warmers. Several other people in the KAL also mentioned the fact. The designer even commented that she'd work on a pattern for them and there was quite a bit of interest in it.

I bought WAY too much of both the ragg yarn and the beads for those socks - enough for two pairs (what WAS I thinking???), so I can go stash diving for the materials. That works for me - will cast them on at once!!!

No comments: