Sunday, September 30, 2007

I spent the weekend knitting like a madwoman....

..... AND

I got caught up! Here is the end of the week 4 assignment and the transition to the cherry blossoms part of the stole. It's good to have something new to work at - even if it's stocking stitch!

I also finished another afghan square at Sunday School during our discussion group. We are reading JRR Tolkien's poem "Mythopoeia". He wrote it in the years just post WWI to his good friend and fellow professor, CS Lewis. Lewis at that time was an agnostic at best. I am so used to thinking of Lewis (he of "Narnia" fame) as the great Christian apologist. It's strange to think of him being led to faith.

Very dense language in this poem, and the form and meter flow back and forth between being quite structured and very close to free verse. If I had to classify it, I'd say ballad meter and the feel of the Saga's or Bardic verse. JRRT even evokes that image in the final stanza - "... and poets shall have flames upon their head, and harps whereon their faultless fingers fall; there each shall choose forever from the All."

No comments: