Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Meme - Socktober Fest

Lolly of Socktober Fest asked participants:

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
>>My VERY VERY first socks were two huge 'Socks for Santa to fill" done back in the 1970s. They had Norgi ski sweater reindeer and snowflakes on them and are about three feet long. Santa can be very generous at our house. But they had proper heel flaps and gussets and toes, so they did teach me everything I needed to know to knit a 'people sized' pair. But the small needles intimidated me no end. I rediscovered socks early last spring when I took a sock class at the not so local yarn store.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
>>The Green Worsted House Socks are the first "real" pair I actually finished and wear. They pilled quite a bit at first as they are made from Lamb's Pride worsted, which is a singles yarn.

What would you have done differently?
>>Put a leather sole on them to make them more slippers instead of socks. They really did come out well, though.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
>>I love the Regia yarns - I've used both the wool and cotton/wool blends. They wear well for everyday socks. Cascade Fixation is another yarn I like for summer socks.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
>>I use sets of 5 DPNs almost exclusively. I've never learned 2 circs or Magic Loop, but I have two more sets worth of worsted and plan to try both techniques this winter. Crochet - not for socks, thanks.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
>>Flap usually. And top down usually.

How many pairs have you made?
>>So far this year, 9 pair

And I just cast on for my BroadRipple Hybrids, with the materials for the Turkish Socks on order. Let's hear it for SOCKS!!

No comments: