Friday, December 14, 2007

Cable hats galore.....

OK, the next couple of projects are going to be hats (no surprise there). One for me in grey WoolEase to match my Irish Hiking Scarf. And others for the hat, mitten and scarf tree at church.

For my hat the choices are

1) Jenna's (thegirlfromauntie) Celtic Cable

2) The Irish Hiking Hat (1) See it here. There is also a version in lighter (worsted) weight yarn that has a lining that folds up inside - like the one for Pirates.

3) The Irish Hiking Hat (2) photo here and pattern on this blog (scroll down on the right. She has some very neat patterns.)

Much as I love, love Jenna's hat, I think I want to do it in a finer wool. I think it will just look so much better in a DK instead of a Worsted weight.

The last Irish Hat is close to a pattern that I've used many times. The watch cap is classic and I know this hat will go quickly. But, I'm always tugging on my hats that have this kind of ribbing that rolls up. I really like the beanie with the horizontal cable that I have labled "(1)" above. The end to end grafted cable is a technique I've not done before.

I'm going to think on this a bit more. In the mean time, there is this skein of bulky novelty yarn that just threw itself into my shopping basket the other day at Hobby Lobby. It was on sale for (OMG) 99 cents (usually $6.64 US). And there's the Yarn Harlot's "Unoriginal Hat" at about the same gauge...... Cables, cables everywhere, but not a sweater in sight LOL.

No comments: