Saturday, June 16, 2007

Try, try again



Well, my 'second string' yarn for Sockapalooza came today. It's Panda Cotton again, which I really do like a lot for summer weight socks. This time, it is in a solid color - Crystal Pink. Since my sock pal gave me two colorways, I can make her girly pink socks *G*. And these are going to be WAY girly - hope she likes them. Her blog only has one or two posts; I can't really get a feel for her likes and dislikes.

But from the colors she listed for me - pinks and sea greens and blues plus silver - I'm thinking that she might just like lace. Since this is a plain yarn, a lace pattern that is a little more complex than the Dublin Bay, which is a VERY simple lace.

The pattern I chose for this second attempt at my pal's socks is a Cookie A pattern, but not the ubiquitous "Monkey". No, I've gone back to last Spring's issue and am doing Hedra from Knitty.com


The cuff for Hedra is a 1x1 twisted rib and if you do that ribbing with a knitted cast on (using needles several sizes larger than your main needles) you get the lovely eyelet effect above. I do adore this look - and it's perfect for lacy socks.

I just wish I could remember where I saw this - I'd like to give them credit. It's been in my notebook of ideas for well over a year. I thought Wendy or Gumperina (who are my usual suspects for nifty technique hacks), but I don't see it on either blog. If it was you, shout out and I'll be happy to edit to give credit.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

That yarn will show off Hedera beautifully! Can't wait to see it finished up! :)

Saffron said...

That looks very nice! :) Panda Cotton does make nice summer socks, doesn't it?