Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Persimmon Scarf #1 well underway



The Persimmon Scarf for the Red Scarf Project is well underway. You'll notice I moved it off the Clover needles where it was born and onto a set of Addie clones. This yarn is VERY grabby - the boucle loops just snagged something awful on the bamboo needles. It likes the slick needles much better.

It's coming out a nice 6.75 inches wide - right in the 6 to 8 inch range that it needs to be. Sixty inches is the recommended length. It's about 12 inches on the long side and a little over 7.5 on the short side. So somewhere around a fifth of the way done, but the five inches of the point are partial rows, so they went FAST.

The hand is really lush; I can see making one of these for myself. Lord knows there will be PLENTY of yarn. I haven't even made a dent in the cone yet LOL.

One thing I don't understand is why yarns like this are marketed to beginning knitters. It's impossible to find your mistakes and very easy to drop a stitch or pick up an extra "loopy bit" of the yarn and inadvertently create a stitch. Even as experienced as I am, I found that I "made" a stitch somewhere in the last few rows. I will decrease it away at the short edge so it will blend in seamlessly with the other decrease stitches. But I can see where yarns of this type would drive a new knitter to throw up their hands in defeat. I would think that a very plain, worsted weight yarn in a light color where you can see what the heck is going on would be FAR preferable for a newbie knitter. But I see all the loopy, furry, weird yarns paired with simple projects and marketed to the beginners.

No comments: