Monday, August 07, 2006

Mystery solved

Well, the good news is that I know where my blocking wire kit is. The bad news is that it's in North Carolina. *Sigh*

And HOW did my knitting supplies make THAT detour? Simple, really. Years and years ago Walt figured out that PVC pipe - the plain old plumbing pipe - makes great cases for long, skinny, bendy things. It's rigid, lightweight, unbreakable, comes in all sizes, can be cut to custom lengths with just a hacksaw. You can put a permanent 'plug' in one end with the solvent they sell for plumbers, glue a threaded fitting on the other, glue on mounts for straps. Voila - instant case for fishing gear, flexible tent poles, etc. We have literally a dozen of these cases. I use one for my blocking kit.

When JC was home on leave last spring, he decided that since he in now in his quarters and not in an open squad bay type barracks, that he could take some of his personal stuff with him. He wanted some of his books, his music and hobby stuff. Things like his pool cue and his fishing gear. I think you can guess where this is going. Yep. He picked up the blocking kit, too.

So all my blocking stuff is sitting in a locker at Camp Lejuene, NC. Somehow I don't think a Marine mechanic is going to have a lot of use for it LOL.

He's promised to ship it home as soon as he can - hopefully before the week end. Still ::headdesk:: I wish I'd have known, I'd have grabed it last month when I was there.

No comments: