Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The Amazing Lace - Challenge 3

The next Amazing Lace challenge is poetry by, for or about your project. Once upon a time I wrote a LOT of (very bad) poetry. Those days are long, long behind me(cough High School). But...

"Widowed" by Karla Hempstead-Denton

Black. My soul, adrift solitary;
My beloved gone, and I am left behind.

Cold. My bed, empty now two years;
Wool enwraps, but does not warm me.

Silent. My house, its center sundered;
Gone from a family intact, to me - alone.

Open, though, my eyes, my heart;
Under my hands, my life is being reinvented.

5 comments:

Jennifer Lori said...

Wow...what a beautiful poem! How moving and raw. I'm impressed!

Hannah said...

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I love the imagery of stitching together a new life.

earthchick said...

Well done, and beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Oh Karla, You made me cry! There is amazing healing through knitting.

Theresa said...

Thanks for sharing this.