Tuesday, May 02, 2006

BOOK: Wendy Knits: My Never-Ending Adventures in Yarn

Wendy Knits: My Never-Ending Adventures in Yarn by Wendy D. Johnson.

I first got to know Wendy through her blog. I was gearing up for the Lace Cowl project and googled on 'lace shawls'. Wendy's insane 'Summer of Lace', where she knit five or six shawls one right after another was the first link that popped up. Her work also spawned a 'Summer of Lace' yahoo group - since renamed Lace for all Seasons, which I recently joined, but am not very active in - yet.

Wendy's book was originally subtitled "Adventures with Two Needles and an Attitude"; it's still listed as such on the Barnes and Noble link above. That pretty much seems to be Wendy's motto. Her book is part pattern book and part knitting philosophy book, with a healthy dose of "how to" and even better "why".

Her style is chatty, with the 'slice of my life' style that made me love the late Elizabeth Zimmermann. The projects range in scope from a pair of cotton face cloths and three scarves all very suitable for a raw beginner up to sweaters and a lace shawl. Some of the patterns are re-worked from her website (link in her blog sidebar), or similar projects are available elsewhere (the beginner projects). But overall I found the book to be a worthwile addition to my knitting library. I do plan to do at least two of the sweater designs and possibly the lace shawl.

EZ's Knitter's Alamanc was the last knitting book that I read AS a book, untill I picked up Wendy's. It felt like a chat with a good friend.

No comments: