I JUST got back from a baby shower. For Lora from my Lawrence Knit Group (and her family and friends). She was the first person in that group for whom I had a name and face that matched up.
So I proposed that several of us do a group gift. It started with 8in bias squares in non-pastel tones (which I showed here. They were laid out and shuffled around several times.
Then there was a lot of this:
as I attached them all together by picking up stitches along the edges, knitting one row on each facing square, then doing a three needle bind off. Four ends per seam, too.
There was also a modicum of this:
as I put a simple two round crochet border around the outside to help stablize the edge.
And it all ended up looking like:
Yes, there are a few things I'll do different next time. For one, it's a bit wonky due to the different gauges. Six knitters, no set materials, just worsted weight wool. For another, I think the blocks would have benefited from a slight felting before assembly to make a denser fabric. That might have shrunk some of the oversized squares down a bit.
But she seemed to like it. DeeAnna, Nancy, June, Heather, Emily - thank you for sharing in the love and labor of this gift. We did good!